SQL Server 2008 R2 MN Launch Follow-up
Posted by denglishbi on May 20, 2010
Last week PASS and Microsoft had one of its five major launch events in Minneapolis. I recall last time we had the major launch here was back in 2008 on April 1, so I felt a little better about the date for this one. The reason that I was so excited for this one was because this time I got to be involved since I help run and organize the local PASSMN Chapter; plus Jason Strate who is a SQL MVP and also on our local Chapter board was able to help out and present as well. Not only did I get to do the welcome and keynote introduction I also got to do a presentation on a subject that is near and dear to me – Lower Costs through BI Consolidation.
I got a lot of positive feedback from the attendees saying
- that they they were wowed by PowerPivot (who isn’t and Jin did an outstanding job),
- loved the new SSRS 2008 R2 enhancements (Lara rocked the house as always),
- were very interested in Master Data Services (wanted to see an actual demo though),
- and are pondering the possibilities of using SQL Azure.
We had around 320 people in attendance which was outstanding and everyone that was involved did an outstanding job of organizing the event and making sure everything was ready including the staff at the Bloomington Sheraton hotel. I know from personal experience that putting together an event like this not an easy task at all and I am extremely grateful that we were able to participate in this event.
The part that I truly enjoyed was being able to talk and network with everyone at the event. I was able to meet new people in the community, talk with former co-workers, talk to customers, evangelize about SQL Server, listen to what people are doing with SQL Server, talk with the PASS and Microsoft employees (and Sponsors), and let everyone know that ‘yes’ we do have a local SQL Server user group!
If you haven’t had a chance to check out the new version of SQL Server 2008 R2 yet here are a few links to get you started:
- SQL Server Launch – http://sqlserverlaunch.com
- Preview SQL Server – http://previewsqlserver.com
- SQL Server 2008 R2 site – http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/R2.aspx
- PowerPivot site – http://powerpivot.com
Thanks to everyone that attended the event and made this such a big success. The community here in the Minneapolis area and surrounding cities and states is just fantastic and I am just glad that I can be a part of it!