PASSMN February 15, 2011 Meeting
Posted by denglishbi on February 7, 2011
The next Minnesota SQL Server User Group (PASSMN) meeting is coming up next week. The topic will be about High Availability and Disaster Recovery options with SQL Server.
The sponsor for this meeting is Digineer:
“High Availability & DR Options for SQL Server”
- Sponsor: Digineer
- Date: February 15th, 2011
- Time: 3:00 – 5:00 PM
- Location: 8300 Norman Center Drive, Bloomington, MN 55437
- LiveMeeting URL: https://www.livemeeting.com/cc/usergroups/join?id=8RFQD5&role=attend&pw=Gwp%2CrC%3E%244
- Register for this event
- 2:45-3:00 : Registration / hospitality / networking
- 3:00-3:15 : Announcements etc.
- 3:15-5:00 : Tim Plas: High Availability & DR Options for SQL Server
High Availability & DR Options for SQL Server (by Tim Plas, Virteva) – A comparison of SQL HA & DR options, by a practitioner who has implemented & managed all the SQL HA and DR approaches (& various combinations thereof). Tim is an operational DBA, charged with keeping SQL servers up & running & optimized, for managed-services customers. We will compare trade-offs between the various SQL HA & DR options: for complexity, usability, hardware requirements, licensing, failover speed, initial costs, ongoing support costs, staff skill requirements, etc.
Also, as you may be aware, Microsoft has announced a set of very powerful “AlwaysOn” features for the upcoming version of SQL (“Denali”), features popularly referred to as “HADRON” (“High Availability Disaster Recovery always ON”). We’ll provide a brief overview of those features now, and will have a full presentation on that later in the year.