SQL Server 2008 RC0 Object Explorer Details Search
Posted by denglishbi on June 11, 2008
Okay, I heard that this functionality was coming and I am somewhat pleased. It is nice to have this functionality. It took me a while to find it, but then I noticed it embedded in the Object Explorer Details window.
One issue I had right out of the gate was that I typed a search and then started to click around in the Object Explorer window. Well that ended the search since the Object Explorer Details window refreshed based on what I was doing in the Object Explorer. So it would make sense that the search functionality be moved to its own window like most types of search functionality found in the Microsoft products. Just like using the find feature. Plus this means that you can only have one search displayed since there is only one Object Explorer Details window. What if I want to have multiple search results displayed at the same time?
Another issue was the filtering ability on the search. There really isn’t any except if you select a database it will limit the search results to the database. You can’t filter the search on just tables, views, stored procedures, indexes, etc.
Once you get the results returned then I would like a little more information returned. You do get the path which you can review to determine the database the item is associated with, but just having a database column would be helpful. Plus I would like to be able to do something with the results once I have them. Like being able to just right-click on them and depending on the object type open the table, modify the stored procedure, script the object, etc. The only thing the search is good for is to show me the object type and display a path as to where the object is located (not that I am complaining because this is very useful—and yes I guess I am complaining).
So here is my search laundry list (so far):
- create a separate search window with the possibility of having more than one
- include filtering capability (based on object type)
- include more column metadata information (like database column – path is okay, but database would be more helpful)
- include the object type options when you right-click on them (so you can script, modify, or open depending on the object type)
- incorporate the search into the right-click context menu when you are in the Object Explorer and click on a folder or object (when it makes sense)
If you agree with these items in the list and would like to vote for these change please go to the Connect site here and vote.